Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Walk Differently

I was wondering on what to write in my blog today. I don't know why I chose not to write about Italy's win over Germany last night, eventhough I already predicted them to play France in the final.

I joked around with my office mate about declaring today as "Walk Differently Day". She doesn't think it's worth an idea as I may trip or fumble and injured myself. Suddenly, it became more apparent to me that there's a relationship between not writing about World Cup and walk differently - avoiding conformity. It may sound negative (especially in this predefined society and culture) so, in a more positive tone - to trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular.

It reminds me of the 1989 movie, Dead Poets Society, starred by Robin Williams, who played "O Captain My Captain" John Keating, an English professor who is also an old boy of the London's infamous boarding school, Chester, who inspires his students to a love of poetry and to Carpe Diem (seize the day).

There's a scene outside the classroom, at the courtyard, where John Keating asked the students to walk differently from the normal (or conventional) way of walking. One student refused to walk and was just sitting there, claiming that he's exercising the right not to walk, which Keating described it as swim against the stream.

Mr Keating also said...

  • "I brought them up here to illustrate the point of conformity: the difficulty in maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others."
  • "Now, we all have a great need for acceptance. But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go."

"Now, I want you to find your own walk right now. Your own way of striding, pacing. Any direction. Anything you want. Whether it's proud, whether it's silly, anything."

"Gentlemen (and ladies), the courtyard is yours."

1 comment:

sitynuress said...

ehehhe... kang jatuh sape yg malu? :P
anyways, i like th emovie dead poet society .. best gila!!

nanti nak carik dvd cite ni la nak buat koleksi

Related Posts with Thumbnails