Sunday, August 27, 2006

Astronomy 101

For someone who never liked Science, especially Physics and Chemistry... and Biology - except some parts of Biology... ;-) I know I've to put this somewhere I could refer to easily.

During my time learning about planets in school... there are 9 planets, namely Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. *sigh* I still cant name them in order, what not to tell the characteristics of each of the planets. Anyway, probably nine is too much for me during my school days. But, school kids now have one less to remember after Pluto was stripped off its status as planet.


But, hold on kids... the astronomers (I don't know whether they're Americans or Russians or Chinese or emmm... Malaysians!!) have identified another four planets, making the total of 12, now <-- more to remember!! They've classified these 12 planets into two categories - 'classical' and 'plutons'. Classical comprises of those I named earlier minus Pluto, while Plutons comprises of Pluto, Ceres, Charon and 2003 UB313.

Those dumb in science, just imagine it like English Premier League, where you have Premier League with all the big boys and Championship with all the minor clubs... So, Pluto has shrinked its size and was relegated to the Championship. Got it?

So, kids... more to remember now, huh?! Good Luck!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails